CHÂTEAU GRAND JEAN - AOP BORDEAUX SUPERIEUR
The DULON family have been winemakers from father to son for more than 250 years in the Entre Deux Mers area. Château Grand Jean is the oldest vineyard of Dulon’s family.
Its ruby red colour reveals a fine nose with notes of red and sometimes black fruits. The mouth is round and delicate. On the palate a subtle blend of red fruits and vanilla notes. It will be appreciated with cooked meats, mushrooms, game.
- Appellation : AOP BORDEAUX SUPERIEUR YEAR?
- Blend : 50 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 45 % Merlot, 5 % Malbec
- ABV : ??? %
- Soil : Clay-limestone soil. Mechanical harvesting
Cold pre-fermentation maceration to express the primary aromas of the grape (red fruit aroma and floral notes). After alcoholic and malolactic fermentation, two thirds of the wine is aged in temperature-controlled concrete and stainless steel vats and one third in French and American oak barrels for 8 to 12 months depending on the batch.
- Yield : Annual production 400000
- Winemaking : Samples of grapes are taken and tasted in order to harvest them at their optimal ripeness. In order to keep the uniqueness of each grape variety and its soil (terroir) the vatting is done separately. Then, there’s a first cold maceration in order to extract the fruits aromas. Afterwards, there’s a first long traditional vatting time in thermo regulated tanks, this fermentation and maceration last between 18 and 25 days. The final maceration lasts 4 days, in order to give a good body and make a well structured wine. The last step is the malolactic fermentation to soften the wine. After all this process, the wine is aged in French and American oak barrels during eight months.
- Color : Deep red color.
- Nose : Fine nose, fruity with spiced aromas.
- Palate : The mouth is structured and balanced, with a nice attack. The finish is long.
- Serving temperature : Between 16° and 18°C.
- Preservation : 10 years
- Food pairings : This wine should be appreciated between 16 and 18°C with cooked red meats, game, mushrooms and cheeses. It will be appreciated now and will keep for ten years.
• Gold Medal Gilbert & Gaillard Awards 2018.
• Silver Medal Los Angeles International Wine Awards 2018.
88/100 Wine Enthusiast « The aging in barrels gave this wine a polished texture with aromas of mint. Lots of fruit balances the structure of the wine, promising a good future. Look for greater wealth when the wine ages and drinks from the end of 2019. »
87 – 88/100 Terra Vitis Quoted in Guide Hachette des vins 2019 « A gourmet wine, generous in fruity flavors on the nose and in the mouth. The mouth is round with a good volume, supported by a touch of freshness and well-controlled tannins. »
• Silver Medal Lyon Awards 2019.
• Silver Medal Los Angeles International Wine Awards 2019.
87/100 Wine Enthusiast « This wine is structured, with juicy fruit, fine tannins and ripe black-currant flavors. It will develop relatively quickly to give an attractive wine from 2021. »
• Gold Medal Gilbert & Gaillard Awards 2019.
90/100 Andreas Larsson
90/100 Wine Enthusiast « While wood aging still shows through in this wine, it completements the black-currant fruits. The wine has richness and density as well as dry core that will open out. Drink from 2021. »
• Gold Medal Gilbert & Gaillard Awards 2020.